Nature Blog Network Wildlife Photography Blog Fatbirder's top 1000 birding websites

Welcome to the Pine River Review. Our sight is dedicated to our little homestead located along the Pine River tucked inside the Chippewa Nature Center's 1400 Acres of wild in Michigan's lower penninsula. We love to share our pictures, video, comment, and our own homespun music. Step inside our world as we celebrate this beautiful nook!


Tuesday, November 16, 2010

An Eclectic Variety This Sunny Tuesday


            Here is a Red Bellied Woodpecker inspecting the great maple tree in my front yard. I have found woodpecker identification to be a bit perplexing. Certainly the little Downy and Hairy woodpeckers are nearly identical save the shape of their beaks and I could not understand the wisdom of calling the Red Bellied as such since I could never actually see a red belly on them. Not until today that is when I caught a good look, was fortunate enough to get a clear picture, and you know what? I can see a little faint blush on his breasts. At last I am informed.
            Be sure to double click on this image as there is some nice detail to behold.




 I was making the rounds this Tuesday morning seeing what was up in the air on this sun lit day. Over by the ponds things were quiet, just a couple pair of romantic ducks. A flock of crows flew by and even though I only had a 200mm lens at ready I practiced following the noisy fliers letting the auto-focus do its thing.




I was going to keep this for a surprise but I might as well let Grandma out of the trunk. I know where three immature bald eagles are nesting! I simply have not been able to get a good shot off to show you because they are on the property of a large corporation that employs an efficient private security force. Its like trying to get pictures of UFO's at Area 51. I sneak in, take a few nervous pictures, and head out before the choppers swoop in.  I actually have an out of focus shot of a Red Tailed Hawk diving in on this young eagle taken moments before I met the corporate police for the first time two weeks ago. This I do for YOU!

                                   " It is easier to seek forgiveness than it is permission."
                                               
                                                          Old Fireman's Saying

3 comments:

  1. The woodpecker is marvellous - I also like the detail in the wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have missed this post. The woodpecker is excellent, and the eagle how can he belong to a corporation, he is after all the symbol of your country. Good job all around.

    ReplyDelete